The Ultimate Medical Shelter for Combat Health Support Systems
Alaska Structures® (Alaska) is the first choice for US Army Medical Department (AMEDD) Combat Support Hospitals. Over 500 of our medical shelters have been fielded since 2004, providing a seamless health care delivery system to enhance patient acquisition, treatment, evacuation, and return to duty (RTD). From forward edge of the battle area (FEBA) to continental United States (CONUS) sustainment bases, the Alaska AMEDD Shelter was selected as a replacement for the Army’s aging TEMPER tents. Above all contenders, the Alaska AMEDD Shelter was selected for meeting the criteria for “outstanding combat support with the most revolutionary design in more than 50 years.”
Engineered Advantages of Alaska’s ADEDD ShelterTM
The scalable and modular design of the Alaska AMEDD Shelter enables the rapid establishment of combat health support (CHS) systems used to support three of the five echelon medical care levels, including the following:
- Echelon II – designed for division-level care, which expands Echelon 1 facility care to include: dental, x-ray, laboratory and patient-holding capabilities. Echelon II CHS capabilities also include preventative medicine (PVNTMED) activities and combat operational stress control (COSC). Medical care is provided by medical companies, including:
- Forward support medical company (FSMC)
- Main support medical company (MSMC)
- Division support medical company (DSMC)
- Brigade support medical company (BSMC)
- Echelon III – the first hospital facility or the corps combat support hospital (CSH) is staffed and equipped to provide resuscitation, initial wound surgery and postoperative treatment and expands the functions of Echelon II capabilities. Patients are stabilized and then evacuated for further care or RTD within the theater.
- Echelon IV – a field or general hospital. The Alaska AMEDD Shelter is used for 84-bed and 168-bed field hospital configurations.
Sizing Options for Maximum Efficiency
The speed with which medical treatment is initiated is extremely important in reducing morbidity and mortality as is the need for an Army medical shelter system that can aid in the response of a rapidly changing battlefield.
The Alaska AMEDD Shelter is available in three sizes, each offering rapid deployment capabilities:
- 20’ wide x 19.5’ long – setup in less than 20 minutes by a trained crew of four persons
- 20’ wide x 32.5’ long – setup in less than 30 minutes by a trained crew of four to six persons
- 20’ wide x 65’ long – setup in less than 60 minutes by a trained crew of six to eight persons
AMEDDTM Shelter Materials & Specifications
All Alaska AMEDD Shelters are 10’ high at the peak. Each shelter is constructed of a heavy-duty mil-spec vinyl fabric that is tensioned over a lightweight and powder-coated aluminum frame to provide an unmatched level of protection. Collective protection (COLPRO) versions of the Alaska AMEDD Shelter are available, allowing US Army forces to rapidly concentrate, attack, reinforce and block enemy forces in CBRN (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear) environments.
Medical Shelters Engineered for Any Environment
When creating a comprehensive CHS plan, careful consideration must be given to the numerous environmental effects to personnel, equipment and supplies.
The Alaska AMEDD Shelter is a medical shelter system engineered to provide maximum flexibility against all weather types – snow, rain, hail, and wind.
Additionally, the Alaska AMEDD Shelter can be deployed in extremely diverse environments ranging from rough mountainous terrains, tundra and glacial areas, jungle areas, to desert environments. Exposure to the extreme temperatures of these environments are life threatening. The Alaska AMEDD Shelter is proven to maintain a comfortable interior temperature of 72˚F in ambient temperatures of +125˚F, and maintain +65˚F in ambient temperatures of -10˚F when used with the 5-ton Alaska ECU™ (Environmental Control Unit). Additional energy-saving products are available including: LED lighting, EnerLayer® insulation systems, as well as the Alaska SolarFly™, all specifically designed and field-tested to reduce energy consumption.
The rapid setup and strike speed of the Alaska AMEDD Shelter enables medical resources to be redistributed or relocated to areas without fixed medical facilities as the tactical plans of operations change. Carry bag systems or re-usable Alaska Containers with forklift handing provisions, allow 4 complete Alaska 20′ x 32.5′ AMEDD Shelters to be transported in 4 Alaska Containers stacked on a single standard 463L pallet.
Made in the USA, the Alaska AMEDD Shelter is Berry Amendment compliant.
Click here to request a quote or call us at +1-907-344-1565 for more information about the Alaska AMEDD Shelter.